ORGANISATION AND MANAGEMENT STRUCTURE
The project consists of 6 Research Groups which involve 6 Greek Universities and Research Centers: Ionian University in Corfu, Institute of Mediterranean Studies in Crete, National Research Foundation in Athens, University of Crete in Crete, University of Thessaly in Volos and Aegean University in Chios. The core of the project is 20 members (Main Research Group) with 71 collaborators (External Collaborators Research Group).
The total team is 91 scholars (professors, senior researchers, young researchers (Ph.D. holders), PhD. students, post-graduate students) from 11 Greek Universities and Research Centers and 20 Universities and Research Centers from Turkey, Bulgaria, Rumania, Ukraine, Russia, Georgia and the United States.
- The Principal Investigator is the head of the research program and communicates directly with the six Co-investigators.
- Each co-investigator is the head and manages his own Research Group which consists of (a) the members of the Main Research Group (M.R.G.) and (b) the members of the Research Group of External Collaborators (R.G.E.C.).
- All six Research Groups participate in all four Work packages, as indicated in the above plan.
- In the first Work Package the first three Research Groups (Ionian, NHRF and IMS) are responsible for the archival research for specific maritime regions as indicated in the above plan (for detailed analysis of Work Packages see the GANT table). The second three Research Groups (Cretan, Thessalian, and Aegean) deal thematically with all maritime regions and collaborate with previous three for sources and fieldwork.
- In the second Work Package the processing of the material from the pool of the collected material will take place from each Research Group according to its maritime region and subject under research. A special team from all Research Groups will be formed to process the data.
- The third Work Package is for communication and exchange of results and ideas of all Research Groups. Workshops and conferences will be organized to different areas each time to that end.
- In the final fourth Work Package the writing up of studies will take place from all Research Groups.
There once was a sea that had
Beaches of wheat and islands of bread.
Everything by it was fully sublime,
Not only the Porte, but also its wine.
Circasian beauties, Moldavian pines,
Ukrainian wheat, Anatolian mines
We had them all for us and to sell,
We were just short of qualified personnel.
Odessa, Batumi, Galati, Istanbul
Had their markets so cheap and so full
That tempted you Greeks to come with your fleet
To carry the timber, the wool or the wheat.
Should we be grateful or should we be mad?
I do not speak for the rest, but I am glad.
Second Black Sea Conference,
Constantza, May/June 2014
- Establishment of the new Centre of Maritime History at the Institute for Mediterranean Studies, 25-26 April 2018
What is Maritime History?
- NEW PUBLICATION! Evrydiki Sifneos, Imperial Odessa: Peoples, Spaces, Identities, Brill, Leiden, Boston 2018
NEW PUBLICATION! Evrydiki Sifneos, Imperial Odessa: Peoples, Spaces, Identities, Brill, Leiden, Boston 2018